TFSA (Tax-Free Savings Account)
Like the RRSP, a TFSA gives you a flexible and tax-effective way to accumulate savings – especially short-term savings – without using up your valuable RRSP contribution room.
So many ways to use tax-free savings
- Choose from the full range of low-cost investment options available within the plan.
- You can carry forward any unused contribution room from year to year.
- You can contribute up to $6,000 for 2019. This amount can change from year to year.
- The total room available in 2019 for someone who has never contributed and has been eligible for the TFSA since its introduction in 2009 is $63,500.
TFSA TAX TIPS:
- Although your contributions are made with after-tax dollars, you do not pay taxes on investment growth or plan withdrawals (whether it’s before or during retirement).
- If you withdraw money from your TFSA, you get your contribution room back, which makes the TFSA an ideal vehicle for managing your short-term cash-flow needs.